Saturday, May 20, 2006

humiliation

blasted by a bus driver for trying to ask him to change my dollar note for a ticket. What the heck, he gives me a lecture on how the rules have changed and bus drivers are now not allowed to change money for customers. Before I could explain that the machine in the bus station was spoilt + the conductor didnt have enough change (one who cared bollocks) and there wasnt a single person around, he simply cut me off and yelled his rights and my wrongdoings.

he said that the bus was under surveillance and everything that's happening is being recorded and that he'll give it to the head office which'll remember my face and put it on the state registry so that they'll remember me and be able make sure I do not do this again. He also cautioned me about my speech (because everything that is said in the conversation is being recorded) and mind you till that point I hadn't really been chanced to even say a thing:
"sorry about that but..." (no chance for my explainations)
"but I couldnt do anything about it" (he starts implying that I'm now blaming him)
"I'm really not trying...[to do anything criminal here]" (couldnt even finish that sentence)

as he kept rolling about how the entire situation was due to my irresponsibility and he had nothing do do with it, I felt utterly helpless. If there was a time I really needed someone's help so badly, that was it.
Finally, I looked desperately at him and asked what I could do about the situation now (nxt bus is in an hr's time).
he simply gave a look of utter disregard and said that he'd change my note this time. after handing my my ticket, he went on to look at the surveillance camera and started going like 'INCIDENT AT 12.05PM... PASSENGER...', as though my actions were crininal.

at that point I felt like crap. tried to force a smile and show that I was somehow really really thankful that he could transact the $20 note for a ticket and $15 dollars change (oh by the way, he had a little cashier beside him filled with cash, and when I looked at it initially, he goes like 'oh don't you go all big-eyed looking at that cash because it none of your business...'

right, when I finally sat down on the bus I felt like the worse human ever alive. I was utterly humiliated and really just so down.
I just want to say that through this whole incident, I didn't raise my voice nor did a single curse word come out of me. I was standing there getting slaughtered as passengers watched the spectacle unfold.
but since this is my space and my outlet to finally let my feelings out, I'd like to say that I feel the whole treatment I received was unfair, harsh and wasnt justified at all.

I wanted to pay for a ticket.
I had a note and no alternatives to change it.
I couldnt explain my situation.
I got blasted.

I would definitely keep this experience in mind so that I myself would not do this unto someone else.

oh yes, I've also lost my fringe today. (I know, what a sad day. lol)
when I said to keep the front 'over the eyebrows', it doesnt mean like short hair right? I mean, short means' under the eyebrows' isnt it. oh man, what a horrific outcome a single slit can make!
I don't know, but I guess there's always the good ol cap to wear when everything's in a mess.

well, thanks bus driver, I'll definitely learn to treat people better than how you treat them

No comments: