Thursday, March 02, 2006

struck down but not destroyed

as the song goes: 'I'm pressed but not crushed, persecuted but not abandoned, struck down but not destroyed...'

it is bewildering how sometimes a single comment made towards you can just bring your esteem crashing down. Just today, some dude told me he reckoned I wouldn't make at all when I entered the army- '3 weeks!!' he said. His colleague stepped in and interceded, 'No, no, no!' he said, 'I'd give this boy 2 weeks man!' and the gang just starts laughing their arses off at my expense. Gosh they must be happy...

ouch! I actually felt quite dejected after that conversation. I mean, I was really so down-hearted! Doubt, insecurity, thoughts of 'am I really so weak?' just kept entering my system. My, it was certainly an ordeal. I simply sat there and forced a weak smile. They might not even know that I felt damaged by their comments- probably too busy satisfying their laughing lust.

*dignity lost... just like that

but hasn't this sorta situation happened to many of us so many times? Often, I have felt so scorned and rejected by people when they simply use you as a 'jackass + guinea pig' object whereby they can get laughs out of you. All at the expense of utilising criticisms and pinpointing weaknesses.

some criticisms I have grown accustomed to, others still pack a sting no matter how much you try to hedge against it. But all these 'thorns' I have been inflicted with only serve to make me realise one fundamental important thing- That I am indeed, really and truly, inadequate!

yes, I have said it. I feel so inadequate at times, so useless. Oh God, why can't I be like this... or that... yes we indeed do strive to be one step higher. So blinded by worldly standards, I sometimes plunge into a depth of gloom as I feel so 'ugly', as compared to the 'beautiful ones' that are in this world. I mean, don't you feel like crap sometimes when you compare yourselves to others? ...How they'd trounced you in any aspect.

Stupid worldly standards.
Stupid condescending attitudes.

take heart people, for there is a God who loves you and sees you, each and everyone of you as a 'beautiful one'. In him, you will be refined and perfected and his strengths will be made perfect in your very weaknesses.

yes, indeed I find that very encouraging, but sometimes, the sting that words bring still leave you feeling downcast and rejected. But heck, I hope to be encouraged, inspired, and soon, to get on with the beautiful journey that is my life.

*dignity...downloading 40% completed

Goodnight world.

.....
oh yea, people who pray, I have written personal prayer requests at the side. Please uphold me. Thanks!!

2 comments:

jeremynz said...

Shawn dude, thanks for the encouragement man! cheers to you buddy.

faith said...

hey jeremy,just ignore them. they're probably just insecure. you know you are unique and special rite...?(you told me that;so you better remember it too)
no point letting them get you down...cheerio...=) and by the way, the posting results are out for polys; i've been accepted to temasek poly's law and management course...=)
back to you: hang in there!